Jackie Robinson Tennis Courts
Thank you for your interest in Jackie Robinson Tennis Courts. This community is filled with tenacious tennis players and fans that work together to improve the courts, organize tennis events, and support a social environment in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. We have four courts. Our vision for Jackie Robinson courts is to build an inclusive tennis community. We want these courts to be a space where everyone feels welcomed to come to learn and enjoy the game. There is no experience required to play here.
Community Happenings - click flyers below for more info
Season Starts May 5, 2023 | Fridays 9:30am & Sundays 11:30am
Jackie Robinson Tennis Courts $40
Hit the court with your HQ Tennis family for a 30-minute workout focused on agility, power, and core strength followed by a 1-hour tennis lesson with our friends at The Fit In. Perfect for beginners and intermediates.
Bring a mat, towel & water. If you have a tennis racket you can bring your own, but we will have rackets on hand. Sign Up Now
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM
For up-to-date Info and Events at Jackie Robinson Tennis Courts!
Photo Gallery - Jackie Robinson Tennis Court Renovations
If courts are free to use or don’t have booking arrangements, there are some etiquette guidelines we would like you to follow:
- Talk quietly when waiting outside the courts
- Never walk behind a court when a point is still in play. Wait Until the point is over and then cross as fast as possible.
- Don’t Jump the queue/line.
Wait for a suitable time to politely ask players on the court when they are going to finish.
If lots of people are waiting to play, use your best judgment as to what is fair:
- Keep your warm-up to a minimum (warm-up off-court)
- No more than 6 balls on the court. More than 6 balls require a reservation for Coaching Court.
- Play 1-hour for Singles. 2-hours for Doubles.
- Always observe local customs!
These Courts Operate in Accordance to NYC Parks Rules:
For those who would like to play, there are no advance reservations — you can play on a first served basis for the day you’d like to play.
If there is no official signup sheet, courts are first-come, first served. You may play singles or doubles for up to one hour. If there are other players waiting for a court, you must leave after the time to which you are entitled
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
PROTECT AGAINST INFECTIONS:
- Wash your hands with soap and water, or use a hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available, before going to the court and after leaving the court.
- Do not share racquets or any other equipment such as wristbands, grips, hats and towels.
- Bring a full water bottle to avoid touching a tap or water fountain handle.
- When not actively playing, please adhere to all proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and facemask protocols.
- If you need to sneeze or cough, do so into a tissue or upper sleeve.
- Try to stay at least six feet apart from other players. Do not make physical contact with them (such as shaking hands or a high five).
- When playing doubles, coordinate with your partner to maintain physical distancing.
- Avoid sharing food, drinks or towels.
- If a ball from another court comes to you, send it back with a kick or with your racquet.
- Maintain physical distancing if changing ends of the court.
- Remain apart from other players when taking a break.
Being that tennis is a low-contact sport, keeping 6ft distance between players and the coach is achievable without impacting the practice. Group lessons can have at most 3 players on the court. Players are responsible to carry their own water bottle, towel, and a racquet. Hand sanitizer and paper towels will be provided by the coach. Lastly, racquet rental will include a new grip and properly sanitized racquet.
Please remain at home If you are exhibiting any symptoms of the coronavirus. According to the CDC, people with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus: fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell. In case you have any symptoms or you have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, please call Coach Ferdinand at 917-740-7995 with advanced notice and all the lessons will be cancelled at no charge.
If you need more information on how to play tennis safely please visit the USTA website.
Want to know how you can help to beautify the courts?
HQ Tennis Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, is partnering with the USTA (United States Tennis Association) to resurface the Jackie Robinson Courts. Coach Frances Nadine Ferdinand, the founder of HQ Tennis, is committed to creating opportunities and pathways to community enrichment, by hosting programs and fundraisers, offering private and group lessons, and acting as a community liaison with the city to voices concerns and make suggestions held by the community. Ferdinand would like to build a community of members who will assist in these endeavors. Together, Jackie Robinson courts will be an even greater place to play!